THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway

STRANRAER HARBOUR JUNCTION

Opened: 1921

Closed: 1972

Location code: Sc66/15

Stranraer Harbour Junction box
Photograph 22/7/38, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

The Glasgow & South Western and Caledonian Railways shared the responsibility for signalling on the Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint by each taking control on alternative years. In practice, nearly all new boxes were erected during G&SW time but one significant exception was the new box at Stranraer Harbour Junction in 1921. One wonders if the Caledonian were trying to impress, for they built a box of large proportions, given that the layout only warranted a 36-lever frame.

The box was built to the design first introduced on the Southern Division of the Caledonian in the 1870s, and used exclusively from 1889 through to absorption by the LMS in 1923. This example is built in brick but the surface has been rendered.

The signalman has stepped outside the box to collect the single-line tablet from an approaching Down train.

Interior of Stranraer Harbour Junction
Photograph 22/7/38, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

Inside the spacious box, we see part of the lever frame with the diagram above.

The signalman stands by the single-line instruments - Tyers' No7 Tablets for the sections to Stranraer Harbour and Castle Kennedy, whilst the No6 instrument is used for long-section working when Castle Kennedy is closed.

The double line to Stranraer Town was worked by two-position block, not visible in this picture.

Stranraer Harbour Junction closed on 11th March 1972.

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated