THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London, Midland & Scottish Railway

THORNHILL

Opened: 1943

Closed: ——

Location code: Sc47/18

Thornhill signal boxThornhill signal box is to be found on the old Glasgow & South Western Railway's main line between Dumfries and Kilmarnock. A new box was provided here in 1943 when goods loops were provided to handle the extra traffic generated by the second world war.

Boxes built between 1940 and 1947 were to the Scottish Division's ARP (Air Raid Precautions) design, replacing the short-lived style introduced in 1939 at Coupar Angus South. In the process, all attempts at good looks were abandoned and instead the concentration was on sturdiness, with reinforced wall and ceilings designed to withstand bomb blasts. A larger box of similar desig is illustrated at Aberdeen South.

The layout was controlled from a 30-lever frame of the LMS standard design, illustrated at Blackford.

By the 1990's, the general decline in freight traffic had led to the removal of the goods loops and the box fell out of use, becoming permanently switched out. However, an unexpected increase in freight around the turn of the century saw the goods loops being reinstated in virtually their original form. The box is now manned again on a regular basis.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated