THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
SOMERSET & DORSET JOINT RAILWAY

The Midland and London & South Western Railways jointly owned this company, but signalling was always managed by the latter.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

WellowPage includes views of lever frame

The first boxes were small, hipped-roof cabins very much like the London & South Western boxes of the era, but from 1878, new cabins were provided with hipped roofs with decorative barge boards, and large paned (three-high) window sections. Most were built with stone or brick bases.

BinegarPage includes views of lever frame

Similar architecture could be found at Binegar, although this example had a stone base.

After 1895, the few new boxes erected on the system were of the London & South Western's 1894 design.

Joint ownership (between the SR and LMSR) continued after the 1923 Grouping, until the S&D became part of the Southern Region of British Railways.