THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
SOUTH EASTERN RAILWAY

The South Eastern Railway provided interlocked signal boxes at key locations from 1864, and block working soon followed. However, it wasn't until the 1870's that signal boxes were being installed throughout the network, and vast numbers were built - several of which can be seen today.

The South Eastern manufactured its own frames from 1867, but the 1889 Regulation of Railways Act created a demand which their supply could not satisfy. As a result, a number of contractors were brought in, who erected their own standard boxes.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

EdenbridgePage includes views of lever frame

The South Eastern's own box design, introduced during the 1870's, was a neat, weatherboarded product with evenly spaced sash windows. A large many boxes of this kind were built through to 1899.

Visit the box

Westerham

A few boxes were built by Stevens & Sons for the South Eastern in the early 1880s.

Visit the box

BlackwaterPage includes views of lever frame

Another contractor to supply boxes to the SER in the early 1880s was Dutton & Co.

Visit the box

North Kent West JunctionPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

In earlier years, the SE had used a number of contractors to supplement its own output, but from 1897 Evans, O'Donnell & Co. were in favour. Boxes were built to their standard design of 1894.

Visit the box

Grain CrossingPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Stevens & Sons erected this small cabin to their standard architecture in 1882.

Visit the box

RyePage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipment

Saxby & Farmer erected several boxes to their 1884 design for the South Eastern Railway.

The South Eastern became part of the South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee in 1899.