THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes built by
STEVENS & SONS

Although a major player in the world of signalling work from an early date, most contracts awarded to Stevens & Sons did not include the construction of the signal box itself. For this reason, purely by chance, very few boxes were built to Stevens' own design, and very few indeed survived into recent years.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Rowrah No1

This derelict box was built for the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway. All boxes of this type featured vertical timbering in the gable ends with a decorative bottom edge above the window line. Window sections (although noticeably absent here!) comprised, unusually, three panes high by only one pane wide. Boxes of this type were built from 1871 onwards. Many had decorative bargeboards similar to those illustrated at Knutsford East below.

Visit the box

Westerham

A timber-built version of the above design, built for the South Eastern Railway.

Visit the box

Grain CrossingPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

A ground-level cabin to the same design as the above example, built for the South Eastern Railway.

Visit the box

Knutsford EastPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Stevens & Sons carried out nearly all the work for the Cheshire Lines Committee, although most boxes were to the CLC's own standard design. However, a few built between 1882 and 1886 were more in line with Stevens' standard product although the glazing arrangement was quite different.

Stevens & Sons ceased signalling work in 1923.