THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes built by
TYER & CO.

Tyer & Co. originally provided only signalling instruments, but took an interest in mechanical signalling when they absorbed the small Carlisle-based company of Tweedy & Co. in 1898, from where all mechanical equipment continued to be manufactured through to 1927.

Tyers, like Tweedy & Co. before them, never did obtain any large or repetitive contracts and as a result only a small number of boxes were built to their own design.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Castle Caereinion

The only surviving Tyer & Co. box was provided for the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway in 1907. At the time of the photographs, the box had been disused for many years, and the windows along the front wall had been boarded over.

Tyer & Co. continued to trade, latterly as the British Pneumatic & Tyer Signal Company, through to the 1950's, but it is doubtful if any new boxes were erected after 1907.