THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Western Railway

ASTROP

Opened: 1907

Closed: 1979

Location code: W57/08

Astrop signal boxAstrop box was on the Great Western's main line to Birmingham, on the southern approaches to Banbury. It was originally known as Astrop Sidings, but lost that suffix after the nearby quarry that it served closed in 1923.

The box was built to the GWR's standard design that was introduced in 1896, and used right through to 1927. As a result vast numbers of this type were built, and many survive today. Most were built entirely in brick, as at Astrop, though quite a few were constructed in wood. An example of the latter can be seen at Athelney. All boxes of this type had the distinctive "three panes over two" arrangement in each window section.

Most other railway companies were abandoning the handsome hipped roof for the cheaper gabled type during this period but, always the obtuse, the Great Western chose to do the opposite.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated