THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Rhymney Railway

BARGOED PITS

Opened: c1905

Closed: 1976

Location code: W76/07

Bargoes Pits signal boxA short distance up the valley from Ystrad Mynach South was Bargoed Pits box. This box was of similar design, having been built by McKenzie & Holland in late 1894, but will be seen to be of the more common brick construction.

The box 11ontained a 32-lever frame, and led an uneventful life until 1976, when track circuits, colour light signals and motor points were provided to allow the layout to be controlled from the modern mechanical box at Bargoed. Working beyond this point (to Ystrad Mynach South) continued to be under absolute block regulation, so the track circuiting was not quite as beneficial as may be thought! Some years later the colliery closed and although the pointwork has now been removed the new signals remain to this day.

Additional notes by Kevin Richards



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated