THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Western Railway

BRYMBO MIDDLE CROSSING

Opened: c1897

Closed: 1984

Location code: W64/24

Brymbo Middle Crossing signal boxA short branch ran off the Great Western's Shrewsbury to Chester line just south of Wrexham (and just inside the Welsh border), serving a few minor stations but, more importantly, a number of collieries. Along this branch, the location of Brymbo warranted three boxes, and in accordance with GW naming practice, these were named East, Middle and West. However, the Middle box had originally been "Brymbo Crossing" and this identity was perpetuated in the new name.

The Middle Crossing box was a quite sizeable structure for a relatively uncomplicated location. The layout was originally controlled by a 37 lever frame, although this was renewed by British Railways in 1957 with a standard Western Region frame of the type illustrated at Newtown containing 42 levers.

The box itself is of a design used by the Great Western from 1889 to 1896, having a less steeply-pitched roof than the earlier types (see Moreton-in-Marsh). Boxes built after 1896 had gabled roofs and a different arrangement of window panes - as illustrated at Astrop and Athelney. Another example of similar design to this box can be seen at Cowley Bridge Junction.

As the colliery traffic dwindled, the line became used less and less. It finally fell into disuse on 4th May 1983 although official closure of the line and its signal boxes was not declared until 22nd February 1984.

Additional notes by David Ingham



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated