THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Western Railway

HAVERFORDWEST STATION

Opened: 1938

Closed: 1988

Location code: W46/19

Haverfordwest Station signal boxLocated on the Neyland branch, which turned off the South Wales main line at Clarbeston Road, Haverfordwest was a medium-sized intermediate station with a decent-sized goods yard. The layout was controlled from a 35 lever Great Western 5-bar Vertical Tappet frame - of the type that can be seen at Newtown.

In the 1930s, the Great Western dabbled with a number of experimental building materials and methods, but quite a few boxes were built to conventional designs. Haverfodwest Station is basically a development from the style found at Green Lane Crossing, but the window design has been simplified and concrete lintels have supersceded the brick arches over the locking-room windows. Sheet asbestos roofing is provided, and like many 20th Centry GW boxes, it has an internal staircase.

At the end of the box are two British Railways relay outdoor cabinets, which probably contain track-circuit equipment. These are generally used at remote locations; at a signal box the equipment would normally be housed in the locking room. Above the telegraph wire connections can be seen, which carry the block and telephone circuits to the next box.

This design was used by the GW from 1935 through to 1946 (although, of course, many boxes were built durong the second world war to a blast-reistant style -see Lansdown Junction), when the style found at Fosse Road was adopted.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated