THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Western Railway

ROSKEAR JUNCTION

Opened: 1895

Closed: —?—

Location code: W24/30

Roskear Junction signal boxNear to Camborne station, in Cornwall on the former Great Western's main line to Penzance, is Roskear Junction. Its function was to control a level crossing and minor branch to North Roskear mines. It

The box opened in 1895, and was constructed to the Great Western's 1889 to 1896 style, which replaced the type shown at Moreton-in-Marsh. It contained a Great Western Double Twist frame of 29 levers, which remained in use until its recent abolition.

Repairs to the ridge tiles on the roof suggest that the ventilators had recently been removed when this photograph was taken.

Another box built to the same design is illustrated at Brymbo Middle.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated