Magazines with articles about signalling
Edited by David Clegg
There’s nothing like picking up a magazine at a quiet moment.
This section of the web site details the latest magazines with articles about railway signalling.
- This issue includes a fascinating article. The Sad Life of Henry Packham Signalman on the LBSCR.
- Small end on photographs of Porthywaen (1930) and Oswestry North (1932) SBs appear in an article on GWR 0-6-0 1308 Lady Margaret
- Ryedale Rambler photo feature includes a distant view of Helmsley SB and a partial view of Pilling SB.
British Railways Illustrated
- The following SBs appear in photographs in this issue: Fryston, Goose Hill Junction and Northallerton.
- The Bigger Picture covers Ibrox and is a panorama of the station with platforms, signals, Ibrox Junction SB and the branch to Govan.
12 June 2020
- In 1964 10 totem signs from Newcastle under Lyme Station sold for £2 10s as recalled in a railwayana article with a small photograph of that station and its signalbox.
15 May 2020
- The GWR SB at Stoke Canon is to be moved to Wallingford on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway. (Photograph)
- An article on the proposed expansion of the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway includes small photographs of the following SBs: Louth South, Louth North and Fotherby.
- Signalbox Survivor is a major article on the restoration of Princes Risborough SB.
- The preserved Swindon Panel at Didcot Railway Centre and its associated simulator are being used to retrain reservist main line signallers.
1 July 2020
- Initial report on a near miss incident at Chalfont and Latimer that may have been caused by a SPAD.
- Funding has been granted for the installation of ETCS Level 2 signalling between Kings Cross and Stoke Tunnel.
- Forthcoming work in the NR Anglia Region includes signalling renewals on the Clacton branch.
- NR has installed signalling simulators in Birmingham NS SB and Walsall Training Centre.
- David Allen article on Settle and Carlisle Line signalling.
17 June 2020
- A freight train passed two signals at danger at Crofton West Junction on May 7 2020. RAIB is to issue a safety digest.
- Level crossing safety has been improved on the East Suffolk Line by the installation of 27 axle counters.
- The redundant Stoke Canon SB is to be moved to the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway
- The July 1st issue promises an article dealing with signalling on the Settle and Carlisle Line.
3 June 2020
- HS2 Ltd. is seeking contractors to supply signalling and control systems for HS2.
- The contract to replace Kings Dyke LC (Whittlesey) has been awarded to Jones Bros. by Cambridgeshire CC.
- Late May Bank Holiday 2020 completed engineering work included signalling work at Leeds and Preston.
- Signalling upgrades at Hither Green will be completed in work due to start on July 25th 2020.
- The Railway Heritage Trust has awarded an additional small grant to for Brading SB restoration.
- Coverage of the RAIB recommendations relating to inter alia workload measurement, using signaller experience when making changes, better training for managers who assess signallers and more thorough investigation of incidents.
20 May 2020
- An RAIB report into factors affecting safety critical human performance in signalling has made 6 recommendations.
- Frequent misuse has led NR to close a LC at Tackley.
- The Swindon Panel Society has made the former panel available to NR to train reserve signallers.
- A detailed pictorial article on Stalbridge includes much of signalling interest in pictures and captions.
- Forever Stalbridge 1 is an account of life and work at the small Somerset and Dorset Railway station with photographs of the signal box and crossing.
- This issue has a photograph of Bilson Junction SB.
- Axle counters have been installed on the East Suffolk Line to assist signallers in relation to user worked crossings.
- Special procedures relating to Covid 19 have been introduced at token exchange points on the Stranraer Line
- Funding for the ECML digital signalling scheme has been obtained. NR hopes to introduce further schemes on the WCML, MML and the Anglia main line.
- Signalling improvement and other work at Guildford was completed on 20 April 2020.
- Sutton Forest LC (Ashfield, Notts.) has had new barriers fitted to improve reliability.
- Steam to Bankfoot is the history of the Bankfoot Light Railway and includes some signalling information.
- An article on the Westbury to Salisbury line includes some signalling information and photographs of Upton Scudamore and Beechgrove Sidings SBs.
- A very detailed article on the Cruden Bay railway, hotel and tramway includes small photographs of Cruden Bay and Ellon South SBs
- The Westbury to Salisbury Line in GWR days includes a little signalling information.
29 May 2020
- Stoke Canon SB is to be moved to Wallingford on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway.
- Buck Garden describes the Fifield Railway which is a fully signalled garden railway that is home to the former Jackfields Sidings SB (Ironbridge).
1 May 2020
- The Film Archive of Railway Signalling and People (FARSAP) has been established by SRS and Friends of the NRM. It can be accessed on the Signalling Record Society website, use the ARCHIVES tab.
- An article on LBSCR Terriers includes an 1890s photograph of the SB known as Selsdon Road North Signals.
- This issue includes photographs of the following SBs: Cheadle Heath North, Standish Junction and Throsk.
- Part 1 of the Ron Herbert article on living at Bare Lane station includes some signalling information.
- Where it all started for me covers Towneley West Level Crossing where the Steam World editor gained his love for railways.