Magazines with articles about signalling
Edited by David Clegg
There’s nothing like picking up a magazine at a quiet moment.
This section of the web site details the latest magazines with articles about railway signalling.
- Ryedale Rambler photo feature includes a distant view of Helmsley SB and a partial view of Pilling SB.
- Steam in the North East Coalfield includes a photograph of the flat crossing at Earsdon and its adjacent SB.
British Railways Illustrated
- A photo feature on Wigan Wallgate has a photograph of the signal box taken in the late 1970s or early 1980s.
- Fratton Interlude includes a partial photograph of Fratton East SB.
- Waiting at Radyr is a fascinating panorama that includes the GWR signals and Radyr Junction SB in August 1956.
- The Crumbling Edge has a good photograph of Coaley Junction SB.
15 May 2020
- The GWR SB at Stoke Canon is to be moved to Wallingford on the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway. (Photograph)
- An article on the proposed expansion of the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway includes small photographs of the following SBs: Louth South, Louth North and Fotherby.
- Signalbox Survivor is a major article on the restoration of Princes Risborough SB.
- The preserved Swindon Panel at Didcot Railway Centre and its associated simulator are being used to retrain reservist main line signallers.
10 April 2020
- Network Rail has given permission to the Vale of Berkeley Railway to recover SBs from near Nottingham. SBs are proposed for installation at Berkeley Station and Oldminster Sidings.
20 May 2020
- An RAIB report into factors affecting safety critical human performance in signalling has made 6 recommendations.
- Frequent misuse has led NR to close a LC at Tackley.
- The Swindon Panel Society has made the former panel available to NR to train reserve signallers.
6 May 2020
- A NR signaller from Barrow in Furness is 3D printing frames and assembling visors for use in care homes in Lancashire and Cumbria.
- A signalling training centre has been set up at Crindau Depot in Newport S. Wales to provide refresher training to those returning to the industry to cover for staff affected by the virus.
- Track and resignalling work in the Guildford area was completed on April 20 2020.
- The Bluebell Railway has acquired the lever frame from Newhaven Town SB.
22 April 2020
- ORR has closed its study into the signalling market to avoid overburdening the industry during the COVID 19 crisis.
- RAIB is investigating a SPAD incident at Loughborough on March 20th 2020.
- Hebden Bridge SB is to be repainted before being handed over to a preservation group.
- A new build signal box using the frame from Tyndrum Upper is being constructed at Invergarry on the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway.
8 April 2020
- NR has asked former signallers to return to the rail industry to help operations to continue during the COVID 19 Lockdown.
- The gates at Swineshead LC are being replaced by barriers.
- Siemens and Atkins have been appointed NR partners in the East Coast European Train Control System project which will see the removal of lineside signals between Peterborough and London.
- Coalville, Bardon Hill and Desford LCs are being upgraded during April and May 2020.
- An article on WCML Electrification north of Weaver Junction includes a photograph of Brock SB.
- Forever Stalbridge 1 is an account of life and work at the small Somerset and Dorset Railway station with photographs of the signal box and crossing.
- This issue has a photograph of Bilson Junction SB.
- This issue has photographs which include the following SBs: Grain and Seaton.
- The signalling training centre at Crindau, Newport S. Wales took just 4 weeks to set up.
- A photograph of Ripon SB appears in an article on possible rail reopenings.
- Heritage railway staff including signallers have been asked to volunteer as reservists in case of staff shortages caused by the virus.
- The following level crossings have been improved: Tutbury, Caverswall, Hockley (Uttoxeter) and Alrewas.
- The virus led to the postponement of Hither Green resignalling at Easter 2020.
- Siemens and Atkins have won NR contracts for developing in cab signalling on the East Coast Main Line.
- An article on rail reopenings includes a photograph of Coalville level crossing and SB.
- This issue includes photographs of the following SBs: Kirbymoorside, Bulwell Forest (partial view) and Newstead.
- Derbyshire Lost Railways: Rails through Ashbourne includes a photograph of Norbury SB.
1 May 2020
- The Film Archive of Railway Signalling and People (FARSAP) has been established by SRS and Friends of the NRM. It can be accessed on the Signalling Record Society website, use the ARCHIVES tab.
- An article on LBSCR Terriers includes an 1890s photograph of the SB known as Selsdon Road North Signals.
13 December 2019
- The LBSCR SB at Lewes closed on November 26th 2019. Network Rail intends for it to be preserved in situ.
- The Connemara Railway Project is to build a signalbox at Maam Cross. It will have a refurbished McKenzie and Holland 18 lever frame.
- Where it all started for me covers Towneley West Level Crossing where the Steam World editor gained his love for railways.
- Tebay Junction Home of the Shap Bank includes signalling information about the area.
- The effect of Beeching on London freight includes a 1958 of the signal gantry and SB at Bromley in East London.