THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

RETIRO No1
Gen. Mitre (Central Argentine) Railroad

by John Hinson

Retiro No1 signal box
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

The large brick-built signal box at Retiro No1, at the Buenos Aires terminus of the former Central Argentina Railway. The box opened in 1924 and controlled the signalling by pneumatic power.

Interior of Retiro No1
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Inside Retiro No1, we find a very large British Power railway Signal Company slide frame controlling the layout. The mechanical interlocking between the slides is exposed below the slides.

Two block instruments, possibly of Tyer's origin, are visible on the instrument shelf, and above these, an enormous diagram shows the track layout. That in the left-hand case, is however, the area controlled by Retiro No2, which was located at the junction where the four tracks become two double lines.

Pneumatic signals at Retiro No1
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

A gantry of pneumatically operated signals on the approach to Retiro terminus, with No1 signal box visible on the left.

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson