THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

SCOTT STREET
Toronto Union

by John Hinson

Scott Street tower
Photograph 1/10/59, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

The main station of Toronto, capital of Canada's Province of Ontario, was owned and operated jointly be the two main railroads, the Canadian Northern and the Canadian Pacific.

Scott Street tower controls the east end of Toronto Union station.

Interior of Scott Street tower
Photograph 1/10/59, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

The tower at Scott Street houses a GRS model 5-B power frame, installed when the tower was opened in 1930. It controls the six running lines and the east end throat of Toronto Union station.

The "levers" of this type of frame are better described as slides, being pulled out to execute their functions. Alternate slides have the handles pointing upwards or downwards, allowing close spacing and the consequential shorter length of frame.

The illuminated diagram includes all signal and point indications.

Additional notes by Andre Gerow


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson