THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

OSTERPORT
Danish State Railways

by John Hinson

Osterport signal box
Photograph 7/55, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

Osterport station was controlled by a small power box dating from 1934; this view was taken from the station looking towards Elsinore (Helsingør).

To the left, the double-track steam line from Hellerup to Copenhagen pass in front of the box, whilst out of view to the left the twin electric suburban lines run parallel. Passing immediately behind the box is a single line which drops to fly under the main line and almost doubles back on itself to join the Hellerup to Vanlose line at Lersoen. To the right, the single-line Frihaven branch runs alongside the

The signal in the immediate foreground controls departures from the station towards Copenhagen, and is power-operated.

Interior of Osterport box
Photograph 7/55, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

The layout was controlled from this compact "four-row" VES frame. It dates from the opening of the box in 1934.

All points and signals were directly controlled by German-style turnover levers.

Siemens & halske apparatus
Photograph 7/55, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

Siemens & Halske Lock & Block apparatus was provided to control movements on the steam-operated main lines, and also for the single-line spur to Lersoen. The electric lines were provided with automatic colour-light signalling.


Additional notes kindly provided by Lars Møller Jensen

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson