THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

COBH JUNCTION
Great Southern & Western Railway

by John Hinson

Cobh Junction station and signal cabin
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 5/71

The signalling equipment at Cobh Junction is contained in an annex of the station buildings. The gentleman in the picture is David Kearney who was Station Master at Cobh Junction. The junction originally had a conventional cabin, but this was burnt down during the 1921-1923 civil war.

general view of junction at Cobh Junction
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 5/71,

Looking the other way from the same overbridge we see the Youghal branch turning off to the left, becoming single line in the background. This route was originally the main line but as the Cobh line gained importance the junction was remodelled so that this line became the branch. This explains the name of this station - it was Cobh Junction because it was once the junction for the Cobh branch. Earlier still, the locations were known as Queenstown Junction and Queenstown.

The original box here stood on the right hand side of the line (in this view), at the point where the line starts to curve.

Block working, at the time of these photographs, was by Harper's block to Littleisland and Cobh on the main line, and Electric Train Staff on the branch to Midleton. By this date, the Midleton line was only used for freight traffic.

At the time of writing (2002) Cobh Junction cabin has been renamed Glounthaune but still survives. It is not normally manned and spends its time "switched out". Equipment still includes the full-sized Webb-Thompson Electric Train Staff instrument and Harper's blocks.

Additional notes by Ken Fox

About the



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson