THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

COMBER
Belfast & County Down Railway

by John Hinson

General view of Comber station
Photograph from the collection of Dr J W F Scrimgeour

Comber station was 8 miles from Belfast on the Belfast & County Down Railway's main line to Ardglass, a route which closed in 1950. The double track from Belfast ended here and the single line on to Ballygowan was worked by Tyer's Tablet apparatus. Comber was also a junction for the Donaghadee branch with Tablet working to Newtonards. The line between Newtonards and Donaghdee was worked by Wise's Patent Trains Staff right up to closure in 1950.

Comber signal cabin, after closure
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This closer view of the box was taken some time after the line was completely closed and lifted. As can be seen, the box is of surprisingly large and sturdy nature, with brick base and gabled roof.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson