THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

EDGEWORTHSTOWN
Midland Great Western Railway

by John Hinson

Edgeworthstown signal cabin
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Edgeworthstown signal cabin represents the MGW's own design of box introduced from 1920, distinctive by the large overhang of the shallowly gabled roof. Quite a number of this type were constructed, mostly as replacements for structures damaged or destroyed during the Civil War of 1922 - 1923. Many examples, such as this, had rear-mounted frames, resulting in a break in the glazing in the front wall to accommodate the fireplace and chimney.

The cabin at Edgeworthstown was burnt down in 1922, and that illustrated here opened around 1924. More recently, the station has been renamed Mostrim, but the cabin cannot make up its mind. The nameboard on the outside still says Edgeworthstown but the box diagram bears the new name of Mostrim.

Inside Mostrim cabin
Photograph 3/5/00 by Simon Lowe

Edgeworthstown or Mostrim, whichever you prefer, is provided with a Railway Signal Company 5½" Tappet frame of 22 levers to control the passing loop and sidings at this simple station.

The layout diagram at Mostrim
Photograph 3/5/00 by Simon Lowe

The diagram in the cabin shows how simple the layout is. By comparing with the upper picture, can you see some trackwork that is no longer here?

Edgeworthstown's layout is untypical for crossing places in Ireland in that both one of the llops is signalled in one directions only.

Single-line instruments at Mostrim
Photograph 3/5/00 by Simon Lowe

The single line in each direction is signalled by Webb-Thompson Miniature Train Staff instruments. The majority of these were manufactured under licence by the Railway Signal Company in Liverpool.

Twin distand arms near Mostrim
Photograph 3/5/00 by Simon Lowe

An interesting signal (although not unique) exists here. On the approach to Mostrim station in the Up direction, the line passes over a level crossing. The upper arm of this signal is the distant for Ballymahon Level Crossing whilst the lower arm is fixed at caution, acting as Mostrim's non-working Distant.

Compiled from notes by Tony Gary, Dr. J W F Scrimgeour and Simon Lowe

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson