THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

SIGNAL AT MANORHAMILTON
Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway

by John Hinson

Signal at Manorhamilton
Photograph 1950,
from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This ancient slotted-post signal once stood outside the workshops at Manorhamilton station on the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway. Typical of very early signalling, the post broadens to completely accommodate the arm out of sight when the signal is in the clear position. As there is nowhere practical to mount the lamp alongside the arm, the spectacle and lamp were typically provided just below the slotted portion.

It is likely that the signal survived through to complete closure of the line in 1957.

Compiled from notes by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour and Edmund Calvert-Harrison

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson