THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

STRANORLAR EAST
County Donegal Railways Joint Committee

by John Hinson

Stranorlar East signal cabin
Photograph 1/1/60. from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Although much of the signalling of the County Donegal Railways was simple and basic (see the CDRJC Signals page), full and comprehensive signalling was provided at some locations. Stranorlar had two signal cabins, and this view shows locomotive No.4 shunting outside the East box.

This box was built by the Railway Signal Company (an English contractor that secured much work in Ireland) and is typical of their build. This example is all-timber and has the extra row of windows below the main sliding sections although those along the front are totally obscured by the large nameboard.

Inside Stranorlar West box
Photograph 31/12/59, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

On the last day of operation of Stranorlar West box, New Year's Eve 1959, the signalman is operating the Webb & Thompson Miniature Electric Trains Staff machine prior to the arrival of the last train.

Notice how crudely the descriptions are painted on the levers - the last four read:

17
SIGNAL
 UP INNER  
HOME
FROM
DONEGAL
18
SIGNAL
SHUNT
TO
DOWN LINE
8 OR JC
SIDINGS
8.7
19
SIGNAL
 UP OUTER 
HOME
20
SIGNAL
CALLING
ON
FROM
 STRABANE 


Where's that train got to?
Photograph 31/12/59, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This picture shows the immaculately dressed signalman on the last evening of operation of the West box. He was telephoning Lough Eske to find when the last railcar was due.

There are two train staff instruments in the box because Stranorlar was a junction for the Glenties branch.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson