THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

AMSTERDAM EAST
Nederlansche Spoorwegen

by John Hinson

Amsterdan East signal box
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/53

The scene at the east end of the massive Amsterdam Central station is dominated by the signal box, opened in 1929. Closer examination will reveal a long gantry spread across most of the layout, complete with too many semaphore arms to count!

View of Amsterdam Central station from the signal box
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/53

The commanding position of the signal box affords excellent views of the the area controlled, as witnessed by this view from the signal box window. Both steam and electric traction is in evidence.

Somebody has thoughtfully painted the station name on the front of the train shed in case any drivers are not sure where they are!

Interior of Amsterdam east box
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/53

The layout is controlled by a VES power frame. This also dates from 1929, but was substantially rebuilt in 1936, resulting in the provision of a partial second row of revolving knobs to control the signalling.

Most of the layout at the east end of the station is controlled from here, although there are some subsidiary boxes inside the station working crossovers etc.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson