THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

RIETLANDEN POSTE 1
Nederlansche Spoorwegen

by John Hinson

Rietlanden Post 1, Amsterdam
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/55,

Rietlanden Post 1 was to be found on an electrified freight-only line in Amsterdam. The box, which opened in 1893, is timber-built but clad with corrugated iron. Post 1 controlled the road crossing as well as the two main line tracks (electrified) and two unelectrified goods lines from Amsterdam to Rietlanden goods yard and through to Watergraafsmeer goods yard.

Interior of Rietlanden Post 1
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour 8/55,

Inside the box was found an impressive-looking double-wire lever frame manufactured by the Hollandsche Spoorwegmaatschappij (HSM) to their own design of 1877. The levers towards the far end of the photograph work the points - tilting back in the "normal" position and pull forward to the horizontal position to reverse them. In the foreground, the upper row of "beer-pump" type levers work signals. These are a later adaption of the 1877 design, to accommodate the electric locking boxes above. The small vertical levers below move the interlocking bars, pulled to lock the points in the correct position and release the appropriate signals. The T-bar handles above are then pulled out to lock all the points for a specific route, being locked in the "out" position by the electric lock plunger above it. This then released the Supervising box (Poste T) who would then be able to, for example, accept the train concerned. He would also, when appropriate, send an electrical release back to Poste 1 to release the home signal T-bar. After the arrival of the train, Poste T would restore his levers and lock them with his plunger, which released the electric lock in Poste 1, so that all could be restored to normal.

Although this box was constructed in 1893, it is said the lever frame came from the previous box which dated from 1878.

The box was later replaced with a stone-built structure at the other side of the crossing, which remained in use until around 1980.

Additional notes by Michiel Rademakers and René Rozema

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson