THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

NEW ZEALAND

Index to pages

The signalling in New Zealand may be closely compared with that in Australia. This came about from pure convenience - the nearest source of signalling equipment was McKenxzie & Holland's factory in Australia. Not only were signal boxes, lever frames and signals available from there, but also many types of signalling instrument manufactured under licence from their British companies.

Signalling of single lines was generally either by Tablet or Open Section. The latter system was defined in the 1965 Rule Book as A section of line operated strictly in accordance with the working timetable and train advices, and where tablet working or automatic signalling is not provided - something similar to the American Train Order system.

From about 1900 to 1947 the Signal Engineer was appointed from Britain. In 1900 HJ Wynne (ex McKenzie & Holland and the Highland Railway Co) was appointed Signal Engineer to the NZGR. In 1916 G W Wyles was appointed Assistant Signal & Electrical Engineer on the NZGR - he had previously spent ten years on the Bombay, Baroda & Central India Railway. G W Wyles later became Signal Engineer of the NZGR.

The largest mechanical box in New Zealand was Frankton Junction, 85 miles south of Aukland, with 70 levers.

Very little semaphore signalling survives in 2002, the only known location being Wairarapa.

Additional noted by David Castle.