THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

MILTON SOUTH
New Zealand Government Railway

by John Hinson

Milton South signal box
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Milton South is a fine-condition structure demonstrating McKenzie & Holland's typical architecture. At this wayside station, with single platform and goods loop, all movements were overseen by this 44-lever cabin and the tablet instruments for both sections were housed here. The smaller South box was operated only as a ground frame.

Both boxes were erected in 1908.

Signals at Milton South
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This photograph captures five of Milton South's signals, not to mention the water crane and a telegraph pole! All of the signals are fine examples of McKenzie & Holland equipment.

Centre-stage is the somersault Main (Platform) Line Starting signal worked by lever 42, with rotating disc signal 22 below it, which applied for shunting moves. To the right is an elevated disc signal (25) reading from the Goods Sidings, whilst in the background the Loop Starting signal 41, with shunt disc 15 below it, can just be seen.

The date of these photographs is unknown.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson