THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

POWER FRAMES
Swedish State Railway (SJ)

by John Hinson

Power-operated frame at Stockholm South
Photograph 1929, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This neat little power operated frame operated its functions though the small rotating handles along the front. Descriptions of the functions are behind these, along the top of the case, and the indications are behind these.

This frame was manufactured by Signalbolaget, as subsidiary of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson.

An illuminated diagram shows the signalling (all colour-light) at this box - which was at the south end of Stockholm station.

Power-operated frame at Goteborg central
Photograph 1930, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Another style of power frame built by Signalbolaget, working on the same principle as the previous example. This was at Gõteborg Central, photographed in 1930. The telephone equipment is wonderful!

Power-operated frame at Malmo
Photograph 1925, from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

This miniature-lever frame is more conventional (by British standards!), and is a style K frame built by the Westinghouse Brake and Saxby Signal Company in England, featuring all-electric interlocking and push-pull lever operation. Forty frames of this type were built for use around the world between 1908 and 1927, and this particular one was numbered 21 in the series.

The Malmö installation included colour light signals for main line and position light (dwarf) signals for shunt moves - the outdoor equipment was supplied by Signalbolaget, Stockholm, a subsidiary company of L.M. Ericsson.

John Batts photographed Malmö when he visited Sweden in 1956; these are illustrated on a separate page.

Malmo signal box, and the style K frame, continued in use trhough to 1982, when it was replaced by Ebilock 750 computer-based interlocking.

Additional notes by Per Olofsson

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson