THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

DELEMONT POSTE 1
Schweizerische Bundesbahn/Chemins de Fer Fédérales

by John Hinson

General view of junction at delemont
Photograph July 1953, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Delemont was a junction with a single platform station (on which the photographer is standing). This view shows the junction at the east end of the station, with the single line to Basle curving away to the left, and the double track railway to Biel and Berne curving right. In the vee of the junction are the engine sheds and sidings. Delemont Poste 1 is on the right.

At the other end of the station (behind the photographer), at Poste 2, the line becomes single to Delle, at the French border, and this section is worked by telephone Block.

Interior of Delemont Poste 1
Photograph July 1953, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

An interior view of Poste 1 shows the Siemens VES frame installed in 1928. The rotating knobs are, in simple terms, a power version of the double-wire Jûdel frame illustrated at Gumligen.

Although the size of the frame and the layout diagram give this Poste an air of importance, all movements are supervised and controlled from the director's cabin on the station platform.

Interior of supervising cabin at delemont
Photograph July 1953, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

The Director Poste on the station platform at Delemont, the interior of which is illustrated here, is also provided with a Siemens VES frame. The rotary knobs release the routes at the subsidiary boxes - Poster 1 and Poste 2.

Once the subsidiary cabins have set the required route, the signals clear automatically. These are repeated above the frame, as can be seen.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson