THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

GUMLIGEN
Schweizerische Bundesbahn/Chemins de Fer Fédérales

by John Hinson

Gumligen station
Photograph 1953, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

A general view of the Swiss station of Gumligen; the Post Director cabin is on the platform, under the awning. Swiss practice was for the station master to supervise all train operations, with subsidiary boxes operating under instruction.

Gumligen is 8 km from Bern on the double-track main line to Thun and Spiez. A single line branch to Lucurne diverged here.

Interior of Post Director cabin
Photograph 1953, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Inside the Post Director cabin on the platform was found a Jûdel-type crank-handle frame installed in 1912. This operates the signalling and releases to the other cabin by the double-wire system. This cabin operated no points at all, these were worked from the subsidiary cabin at the junction which had a conventional double-wire frame.

The apparatus above the frame near the camera is the single-line block working to Worb on the Lucerne branch. Unusually, the double-line block apparatus was in the subsidiary box.

About the photographs



Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson