THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

DUBUQUE EAST
Illinois Central Railroad

by John Hinson

Dubuque East cabin
Photograph 4/60, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Some signal towers didn't "tower" in any respect, and this example at Dubuque shows that the Illinois Central chose to call it a cabin instead.

The view looks south towards Chicago along the double track line used by trains of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Chicago Great Western Railroads, although the line was actually owned by the Illinois Central.

The lower quadrant semaphore signal is an "order board".

Interior of Dubuque East
Photograph 4/60, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

The insignificant-looking cabin was in fact packed with interesting equipment. This comprises a small mechanical frame working points, an inverted miniature frame (as at 61st Street) for the signals, and (out of view to the right) a table lever machine controlling remote signalling.

All of this equipment was installed in 1946 by the Union Switch and Signal Co., at the joint expense of the IC, CB&Q and CGW railroads.

Table lever machine at Dubuque East
Photograph 4/60, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

And here is the aforementioned "table lever machine".

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson