THE SIGNAL BOX

OVERSEAS

WOOD STREET
Chicago & North Western Railroad

by John Hinson

Wood Street tower
Photograph 7/59, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

Wood Street tower opened in 1917 and controlled the commencement of three-track working in the Chicago suburban area. The middle of the three tracks (seen in the distance) was bidirectional and was used according to the rush-hour traffic flows.

Interior of Wood Street tower
Photograph 7/59, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

The tower was provided with a 40-lever Union Switch & Signal mechanical frame dating from the commissioning of the tower in 1917.

Signals at Wood Street
Photograph 7/59, by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

A general view looking towards the tower from the Clyburn direction. Signals were power-operated three-position upper quadrant, the left hand post has two main arms to indicate the route on the three-track section towards Madison. There is also a miniature arm mounted near the base of this post.

Note that the C&NW Railroad was the only line in the USA to use left-hand running.

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson