Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
From 1895 onwards, boxes on the Barry Railway were built by Evans, O’Donnell & Co, to a special design which appears to owe a lot of its origins to the Great Eastern Railway’s 1885 architecture.
A different design of box was introduced when the Vale of Glamorgan line opened in 1897, which bore much more similarity to the standard signal boxes of Evans, O’Donnell & Co.
Evans & O’Donnell were absorbed by Saxby & Farmer in 1903, and all subsequent boxes for the Barry Railway were built by them to the 1895 design.
The Barry Railway became part of the Great Western Railway in 1923.