East & West Junction Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The uninformatively-named East & West Junction Railway came into being in 1871 linking Towcester with Kineton, extending on to Stratford-on-Avon in 1873. Proper signalling was not provided until 1885, when passenger services resumed after being suspended for ten years for financial reasons.
Most boxes on the E&WJ route were built by the Railway Signal Company, although early boxes were Gloucester Wagon Company products – the related companies produced almost identical designs.
The E&WJ became part of the Stratford-on-Avon & Midland Junction Railway in 1909.