London, Midland & Scottish Railway

PHOTO GALLERY:

London, Midland & Scottish Railway

Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:

Page includes views of box interior
Page includes close-up views of lever badges
Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment
Page includes close-up views of box diagram
Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment
Page includes a short movie film

 

Purfleet

Boxes continued to be built to the Midland Railway’s 1917 design through to 1928.

Barrow Hill Junction 

The last Midland pattern boxes, built during 1928 and 1929, reverted to the larger window panes of the Midland’s 1908 style, but differed from these through the omission of finials.

Barrow Hill Up Sidings

A sidings box of similar design also followed pre-grouping practice by being fitted with a double-wire operation lever frame.

Fiskerton Junction

One of the last examples of a Midland-pattern box to be built

Lloyds Sidings North

Many early LMS boxes were built to London & North Western Railway design, too.

Madeley

One of the first LMS standard boxes, this demonstrates the combination of panelled brick base and gabled roof pf the LNW with the large and elegant glazing of the Midland Railway.

Forders Sidings 

An all-timber example of the same design.

Keswick No1

Variations from the 1930 standard included smaller-paned windows and a stone base on this example.

Kettering Junction 

The design was updated in 1933 to omit the Midland-style corner fillets in the windows.

Longforgan

Meanwhile, the Scottish Division adopted their own design in 1929, featuring an attractive hipped roof and a bay window.

Coupar Angus South 

A simplified design, based on the 1929 Scottish model, was introduced in 1939.

Barrhill

A second-hand example of the Glasgow & South Western 1901 design was erected in 1935 to replace one that had been burnt down.

Greetland No2

An example of the ARP design as used south of the Scottish border, a design used from 1939 through to 1950.

Caverswall

A conventional LMS box opened during the second world war, without locking-room windows.

Thornhill

The Scottish Division introduced their ARP design in 1940, with strengthened walls and roof to withstand enemy damage.

Aberdeen South

By 1947, the design of ARP boxes in the Scottish Division had developed into even sturdier structures.

Elmton & Creswell Junction

A LMS box built during the post-war period.

When the railways of Britain were nationalised in 1948, the LM&SR was split between the London Midland and Scottish Regions of British Railways .

 

Black and White Premium WordPress Theme