Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The Midland & Great Northern Joint had been formed in 1893 by a merger of the Midlands & Eastern Railway and the Eastern & Midlands Railway. The M&E was already managed jointly by the Midland and the Great Northern Railways, and the new entity was to continue this way.
In the late 1880s, the M&E had been provided with Midland Railway signal boxes between Peterborough and Kings Lynn, and Great Northern boxes on the Bourne line. East of Kings Lynn, signal boxes were erected by Saxby & Farmer but little is known about these as they were all replaced at an early date.
After the formation of the M&GN, new boxes were built to a design based on Great Northern practice. These were fitted with frames of both Great Northern and Midland types, some of which may have been re-used from earlier boxes.
With the general closure of the M&GN network in 1959, few signal boxes have survived. One outpost survived in use until 2000, but all that can be seen now is the odd cabin that has somehow escaped demolition for over forty years.
By virtue of its joint ownership, the Midland & Great Northern survived the grouping, becoming joint property of the LMS and LNER. Signalling of the M&GN was handed over to the LNER in 1936 but no further new boxes had cause to be built. Ownership of the M&GN passed to the Eastern Region of British Railways in 1948.