PHOTO GALLERY: NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY
OPENED: 1899 CLOSED: 1957
Click or tap the images for enlarged views
Almost all North British Railway signal boxes were built in brick, but a few exceptions were constructed in timber where the ground conditions were not suitable for a heavy structure. Birkhill, on the NBR’s Bo’ness branch was one of these.
The architecture is similar to that of Hartwoodhill Junction, but vertical timbering is provided throughout.
The signal box controlled a passing loop (and not a lot else!) on the single line between Bo’ness Junction (at Manuel) and Kinneil from its 21-lever frame. Closing apparatus was provided in 1922 so that the box could be switched out at times of light traffic with long-section tablet working applying between the adjacent signal boxes.
Its services were dispensed with on 23rd June 1957.
Today, Birkhill is served by the Bo’ness & Kinneil heritage railway.