PHOTO GALLERY: NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY
OPENED: 1912 CLOSED: 1962
Click or tap the images for enlarged views
Around 1890, the North British Railway developed the 1878 design (see Inverkeilor) further by providing deeper windows.
As can be seen, the design introduced taller sash windows as well as unobstructed glazing. This design was built simultaneously with the earlier types and continued to be used for many years. This example opened in 1912.
Hartwoodhill Junction was on the single mineral line between Blackhall and Westcraigs Junction. This view looks towards Westcraigs; the line becomes single at the second bridge, in the distance.
This view looking in the other direction on what was obviously a cold February day shows the “main” line towards Blackhall diverging left in the background. The line straight ahead is a short branch serving Fortissat Colliery. Coal wagons await collection in the sidings.
This interior view shows the two Tyer & Co one-wire, two-position block instruments that were used to signal trains over the line – this was deemed sufficient for a mineral line and no staff or ticket was used. The branch to Fortissat Colliery utilised a One Engine in Steam train staff.
The 32-lever frame, manufactured by Stevens & Sons, is in very original condition with cast lever badges and “pull plates” (which list other levers required before they are pulled) mounted lower down the lever. The ratchets with hook-like handles are wire adjusters that can be used to compensate for wire expansion in warm weather.
Hartwoodhill Junction signal box closed on 14th November 1962.