PHOTO GALLERY: NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY
OPENED: 1903 CLOSED: 1966
Click or tap the images for enlarged views
Leith Central was an important suburban terminus in Edinburgh. It had the grandest of station canopies and had a large and elegant signal box provided in 1903.
The all-brick signal box featured opening sash windows throughout, and an unusually deeply overhanging roof supported by chunky brackets. Finials are provided on the roof, along with a centrally mounted ventilator to allow fumes from oil or gas lighting to escape. The hearth is at the far end of the box; its chimney can be seen best in the picture below.
The signal box had a 85-lever frame at its peak, later reduced to 52. The station closed in 1952 and the site was subsequently used as a depot for diesel multiple units. This, and the signal box closed in 1966.
The railway here may have closed in 1966, but sixteen years later both the signal box and the impressive station awning remained. All looks rather strangely elevated with the bridge across the road being removed.