North London Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The North London Railway was a pioneer as far as signalling was concerned. Simple signalling was introduced in the 1850s, and the entire line was operated on the block system by 1855. The first, albeit primitive, interlocked frame in the UK was installed at Kentish Town Junction (nowadays known as Camden Road Junction) in 1859. Early signal boxes were built by signalling contractors, but after 1877 (when a signal works was opened at Bow) the North London manufactured its own equipment.
Broad Street No2
Although not readily attributable to any known signalling contractor’s architecture, this signal box may have been built as long ago as 1865 but there are a lot of conflicting dates.
From 1870, the North London railway started building boxes to their own design.
A simplified and neater design introduced in the 1880s
Gabled roofs were introduced on North London railway signal boxes in 1890.
Skinner Street Junction
This signal box appears to be one of a kind, and looks much more modern than its construction date of 1892.
The London & North Western Railway managed the North London Railway after 1909, and their equipment was used after that date. It was formally absorbed by the L&NWR in 1922.