North & South Western Junction Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The North & South Western Junction Railway took its name from providing a link between the London & North Western Railway (at Willesden), and the London & South Western Railway (at Brentford) and was worked from the outset by the those two plus the Midland Railway. In 1871 those three companies jointly took over the N&SWJR but it seems that everything signalling-wise was done by the North London Railway.
Acton Central depicts the first gabled design of signal box used by the North London Railway from 1890.
Boxes built at other dates were all built to NLR designs – please see the North London Railway section of the Photo Gallery pages.
The London & North Western Railway managed the North London Railway after 1909, but no new boxes were built on the N&SWJR after that date.