North Staffordshire Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The North Staffordshire was well ahead of the game and had interlocked most of its stations and signal boxes in the late 1860s and early 1870s, introducing block working in the early 1870s too. Whilst few of the pre-1870 boxes survived into later years, many of the early lever frames were re-used, and their signal boxes always had an antiquated and individual air.
Almost all signalling work (including the construction of signal boxes) was carried out for the company by McKenzie & Holland, although from 1875 the boxes were built to designs specified by the North Staffordshire Railway.
Today, resignalling has swallowed up most of the company’s remaining lines, although a final outpost can still be found between Derby and Stoke.
Congleton Lower Junction
A curious-looking signal box indeed, said to have been constructed by Saxby & Farmer
An early brick-built design of signal box found in a few locations around the North Staffordshire Railway system.
Leek Brook Junction
Many hipped-roof boxes were built to McKenzie & Hollands pre-1875 design.
From 1875 onwards, the North Staffordshire Railway had their signal boxes built to their own design, which seems to have been blatently copied from the Great Northern railway.
In 1885, the North Staffordshire railway simplified their architecture to the style seen here.
The North Staffordshire became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923.