Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway was a multi-company organisation – comprising the Glasgow & South Western, Caledonian, London & North Western and Midland Railways. Stretching across south-west Scotland, linking Castle Douglas to Portpatrick, the two Scottish-based companies took responsibility for the signalling on alternate years but as things worked out most of the signal boxes were to G&SWR design.
An early box constructed by Smith & Yardley.
Another early signal box, believed to have been erected by McKenzie & Holland.
Most signal boxes along the line date from the 1890s and were built to standard Glasgow & South Western railway designs.
Stranraer Harbour Junction
A large Caledonian Railway signal box built during one of their years of responsibility for signalling on the P&WJR.
The Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway passed to the London, Midland & Scottish Railway with the grouping in 1923.