Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The Midland Railway and the London & South Western Railway jointly took control of the indeppendent Somerset & Dorset Railway in 1875. There was some signalling already in place, but it was very basic.
The first signal boxes of the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway resembled the London & South Western Railway’s signal boxes of the same era but were not identical to them.
The most distinct design of box found on the S&DJR was used between 1878 and 1895.
Another signal box of the Somerset & Dorset Joint’s 1878 design.
This is an 1878 box with a difference!
After a short spell using London & South Western Railway design boxes, this type was introduced in 1905.
The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway remained a joint operation after the grouping in 1923, now controlled by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway and the Southern Railway. With nationalisation, control passed to the Southern Region of British Railways, but the section north of Templecombe passed to the Western Region in 1958.