South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee

PHOTO GALLERY

South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee

Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:

Page includes views of box interior
Page includes close-up views of lever badges
Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment
Page includes close-up views of box diagram
Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment
Page includes a short movie film

The South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee was formed by a merger of the South Eastern and the London, Chatham & Dover Railways in 1899.

 

 

Margate

The SE&C wasted no time in introducing a new standard design of box, usually built solidly in brick, as illustrated here.

Canterbury East

Owing to being mounted on a steel gantry, this example was an untypical all-timber example

Merstham

Despite developing the new design, some boxes were still built in the South Eastern Railway’s weather-boarded design of the 1870s.

Bopeep Junction

A gabled version of the South Eastern’s design.

The South Eastern & Chatham became part of the Southern Railway in 1923..

 

Black and White Premium WordPress Theme