South Eastern Railway

PHOTO GALLERY

South Eastern Railway

Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:

Page includes views of box interior
Page includes close-up views of lever badges
Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment
Page includes close-up views of box diagram
Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment
Page includes a short movie film

The South Eastern Railway was quick to install the Absolute Block system but rather sat on its heels as far as interlocking was concerned, until its arm was forced by the 1889 Regulation of Railways Act.

The earliest signal boxes were therefore little more than huts.

Buckland Junction

The South Eastern Railway’s first “proper” signal boxes were supplied by Stevens & Sons or, in a few cases, by Saxby & Farmer.

Grain Crossing

A ground-level Stevens & Sons signal box

Edenbridge

From 1867, the Southern railway introduced their own design of signal box and lever frame.

Penshurst

In the 1890s, many contractors had to support the SER’s own constructions to cope with the damand. This example was built by the Railway Signal Company.

Wadhurst

An example of the Dutton & Co contribution in the 1890s.

Hawkhurst

McKenzie & Holland also supplied some signal boxes in the 1890s.

Rye

Many boxes provided during the 1890s mass interlocking programme were supplied by Saxby & Farmer

North Kent West Junction

Even after the interlocking programme, the South Eastern’s own signalling output had to be supplemented – their preferred contractor at this period was Evans & O’Donnell.

The South Eastern became part of the South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee in 1899.

 

Black and White Premium WordPress Theme