South Shields, Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The South Shields, Marsden, and Whitburn Colliery Railway opened as a private railway in 1888, primarily to convey coal from Whitburn Colliery but it also served other industry and a passenger service operate until 1953. It passed to the National Coal Board in 1947.
A rugged-looking brick-built signal box built by the Railway Signal Company
In contrast to Lighthouse, Westoe Lane signal box was just a lean-to structure attached to the station buildings.
Much of the line closed with Whitburn Colliery in 1968 but a short stub to Westoe Colliery remained until 1993.