Taff Vale Railway

PHOTO GALLERY

Taff Vale Railway

Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:

Page includes views of box interior
Page includes close-up views of lever badges
Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment
Page includes close-up views of box diagram
Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment
Page includes a short movie film

The Taff Vale was the only independent company in the Welsh Valleys that showed any signs of affluence, completing its signalling as early as 1881 and continuing to expand with the provision of comprehensive layouts worked from large signal boxes to keep abreast of industrial growth.

Waterhall Junction

A stone-built box built to the Taff Vale’s enhanced version of the McKenzie & Holland design introduced in 1896.

Sully

An all-timber version of the same type as Waterhall Junction.

Penarth Town

Another wooden box similar to Sully.

Gyfeillon Upper

The standard Taff Vale architecture underwent some small changes in 1895, with larger window panes. Some decorative features were dropped.

Llandaff Loop Junction

A larger brick-built box, otherwise similar to Gyfeillon Upper

Pontypridd Junction

The largest box of the Taff Vale Railway, now a listed building.

Rhondda Fach Junction South

Later boxes had plain brick bases.

Walnut Tree Junction

A tall variation of the above design, to provide good visibility.

The Taff Vale Railway was absorbed into the Great Western Railway with the 1923 railway grouping.

 

Black and White Premium WordPress Theme