Wemyss Private Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
The Wemyss Private Railway was built to convey coal and minerals and was almost entirely within the estate of the Wemyss family. Until 1926 a passenger service was provided for their miners too.
The signalling here would appear to have been installed by the North British Railway as the box and signals were to their design.
After 1947, the network was operated jointly with the National Coal Board but it remained independent through to closure in around 1970.