Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway
Click or tap the thumbnail for a description and photograph of each listed signal box. These are, in some cases, supplemented by other related pictures of the same box, denoted by the following icons:
|Page includes views of box interior|
|Page includes close-up views of lever badges|
|Page includes close-up views of signalling instruments and equipment|
|Page includes close-up views of box diagram|
|Page includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment|
|Page includes a short movie film|
Despite being one of the lesser railways in the Cumberland industrial network around Whitehaven and Workington, the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway was well signalled in the 1870s.
Early boxes, such as this one, were provided by Stevens & Sons.
Moor Row No1
After the London & North Western Railway took over the line (soon becoming joint with the Furness Railway), all boxes were built to L&NWR designs. This is a particularly late example.
The WC&ER sold out to the L&NWR in 1877, becomong joint with the FR in 1878.