At quiet moments, signalmen often got “On the Blower”. This was usually an omnibus telephone system which could be communally used by all signal boxes along a section of line. Talk would be about all sorts of things, including Rules and Regulations.
This discussion area is the 21st century equivalent
We have a small set of “rules” that apply here:
- Please keep discussion to British signalling, and post it in the appropriate section
- Please always start a new topic for a new subject
- You are welcome to ask questions about model railways here, however you might get a fuller response at another site – the RMweb forums
- Remember everything you say here will be publicly visible, so please keep it civil. We have censorship abilities and also an excellent catapult which could be used to send repeated offenders miles into oblivion. We would rather not have to do either.
- Don’t type in CAPITAL LETTERS – in the world of computer communication that is regarded as SHOUTING and therefore some people may find it offensive.
- Don’t criticise others’ grammar or punctuation – we do not all have equal levels of education or ability but all are very welcome to contribute here.
- Please respect people’s privacy. You may mention names here (e.g. retired signalmen) but do not pass opinions about them (e.g. “he wasn’t a very good signalman”).
- You can embed images in your postings provided you have the right to do so – please ensure all are correctly credited in your post, otherwise they will be removed to avoid copyright risks. It is often better to just provide a link to a web page where an image is located.
- Postings may be subjected to approval for newly registered users, so please be patient. This is one of several methods to prevent the forums getting flooded with irrelevant automated advertising.
- At this point in time, the forum is experimental. It is subject to change or even withdrawal if there are technical issues, but don’t let that stop you participating.
You will be invited to register as a member of this site before you can post a message.
If you are logged in, a red signal indicates unread (“unred”?) posts.
- Latest activity